Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Emotions

This was a response to a Daydream prompt. It's sarcastic, and supposed to not be taken seriously.

I am Immune to emotion,
And I couldn't be happier.
The torment of fear does not grip me,
I have never known the pain of sorrow.
I laugh at anger,
And sneer at amusement.
Joy has never been mor than a fleeting fancy,
And please, tell me about boredom.
I have never had to dry my eyes,
Nor hold my sides in mirth.
The very concept of confusion bewilders me.
I am content without hatred,
And I hate contentment.
I am untouched by the calamity of despair,
I am untorn by any longing.
Humanity has no hold on me,
And the chains of a soul have never been present.
I connot miss sanity,
For I have not been devoured by insanity.
The beauty in a moment is lost on me,
And a disgust in the world is meaningless.
I am immune to emotion,
And I couldn't be happier.

1 comment:

  1. I so love the contradictions in this, and I can't help but laugh at the number of people that would read this and think you were completely serious and miss the jokes.

    My two cents: Your poetry reminds me a lot of the first bit I wrote. Not in content, but in organization, form, and aesthetics. The thing about poetry lie this is, obviously, it's short. A lot of people, even unconsciously, will look at something that looks (shape, not the words) like this and blow it off. No offense, but it looks boring.

    That's ok, it's a start. My advice to you now is to play around with organization and structure. You've already got parts of this organized according to connections, such as content without hatred and hating contentment. However this structure is hidden in the long, unbroken line of writing.

    I want you to try grouping those together as deliberately as possible, maybe changing the locations of some of your lines if necessary. once you have it organized however you want (and if it already is, great), break it up into stanzas. This makes it look more pleasing to the eye, it makes it look like easier to read chunks, the mind can comprehend more subtleties of it easier, and it altogether becomes better.

    Beyond this poem, try playing around with structure more as you type out your poetry. Stanzas, indents for emphasis (like separating one line from a stanza while it's still part of it), standalone lines, and whatever other funky stuff comes to mind. Poetry is a game, have fun with it. ;)

    ReplyDelete